Sunday, May 29, 2016

Cuckoo

I was reminded last night of how special my Cuckoo Clock is.  My dad bought it for me.  That's probably the reason and it reminds me of being home.  When the house is quiet (rare occurrence but it occasionally does happen) I can hear the tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.  I sometimes think it is a slap in the face.  SLOW down!!!  The ticks and the tocks are going so fast.....

When Makayla was born, I thought for sure I would remember every single moment.  I remember the smell of her new born head when I kissed it, I remember the way she smiled at me, I remember holding her and dancing in her room wishing she would stay little forever.....I remember her Pink Lady dance, I remember her watching Elmo's Potty Time 2000 times, I remember her kindness, I remember her first pony tail, I remember her laughing on the swing set, I remember her pink cowgirl boots, I remember her first chocolate cake....

A boy they said....A boy.  I remember Mike's excitement, I remember Kristy and Forrest playing in the lobby with Makayla while they waited on the announcement, I remember my dad so happy with the news, I remember choosing Stone Jett for the name - he was sure to be a Heisman Trophy winner with that name :) I remember two days before he was born....my dad diagnosed with melanoma, my grandpa Blackstone died, I remember my dad sneaking in the OR to catch a peak of Stone before he drove away to the funeral..... His dark hair, his dark skin, his big dark eyes.... I knew we were in trouble. 

I was carrying in the groceries, I left Mike alone with an almost 3 year old and 8 month old for 45 minutes... I remember his words, "Do you want to adopt a baby?"  I remember I thought he was crazy.  He must have watched a Feed the Children Infomercial while I was gone....I remember Dr. Johnson's words, Leaving the Hospital, Safe Haven, In Labor Now....I remember what the pastor said, "Don't fight God's will"...I remember calling a lawyer at 10PM, I remember calling my neighbor at 7AM...I remember sitting in the lobby at the hospital reading US Weekly Nick and Jessica were divorcing ....I remember when they came and got me, I remember they weren't monsters, I remember they were scared....I remember clutching my laptop and I remember them walking out the door...I remember his cone head, I remember his chubby face, I remember knowing I was his mother when I held him.  

Now as I sit and listen to the Tick-Tock....I want to freeze time.  A new home will soon house our Cuckoo Clock.  A new group of boys will soon be apart of our family.  A new community will soon help us make memories.  A new chapter for the same Fab Five :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment